CENJOWS was raised at the initiative of Ministry of Defence on 24 Aug 2007 and is registered under 'The Societies Registration Act 1860'. The centre has been set up to:
- Rise above sectoral and departmental legacies, and examine joint warfare and synergy issues in their entirety.
- Provide the much needed interface between various stakeholders, viz the government, public and private sector, academia, NGOs and civil society.
- Initiate debates and discussions in an independent and unbiased milieu for emergence of best possible alternative.
To promote Integration as a synergistic enabler for the growth of Integrated National Power and provide alternatives in all dimensions of its applications through focused research and debate.
- Accord priority, to free dialogue and discussion on all issues with a bearing on joint warfare and on the formulation of independent policy options to decision makers, in the Gol and Defence Headquarters.
- Endeavour to mould public opinion and influence the national security elite on issues where India’s national power is synergised.
- Nurture and facilitate study, scholarship and discourse in respect of broad spectrum of joint warfare issues.
- Seek to engage foreign institutions, having common interests and commitments, in our immediate neighborhood and further afield, and undertake an exchange of ideas with a view to enhancing mutual understanding and cooperation in the joint warfare field.